Call Before You Dig
Before any digging or earth moving, whether by a homeowner or a professional excavator or contractor, state law requires calling 8-1-1 to notify the local One-Call center at least 48 hours or two full business days prior to the scheduled excavation in order to have underground utilities located and marked free of charge.
Provide the 811 operator with the following information:
- County, city or township
- Digging location (street address and nearest cross street)
- Type and extent of work
- Digging start date and time
- The One Call Center will contact the appropriate utility companies, and a trained technician will mark the location of underground facilities with colored flags, stakes or paint at no cost to you.
- Red - Electric
- Yellow - Gas, oil or steam
- Blue - Water
- Orange - Telephone - CATV
- Green - Sewer
- Purple - Reclaimed water
- Pink - Temporary survey markings
- White - Proposed construction
- Wait two full business days before beginning the digging.
- Do not remove the flags, stakes or paint marks until you have finished digging.
- Once the property is marked, dig responsibly and respect the marks. Regardless of depth, always hand dig within 24 inches on either side of a marked utility line.