To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and fires from the use of space heaters, adhere to the following tips.
- Install and use appliances according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Never use unvented gas or kerosene heaters in closed spaces, especially sleeping areas.
- Leave a window cracked about an inch for ventilation and fresh air. Ventilation is important to keep fuel-burning space heaters from consuming too much oxygen in the house.
- Do not leave a space heater on when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep.
- Electric space heaters should be checked for signs of fraying or splitting wires or overheating. Likewise, electric space heaters frequently cause fires by overloading electrical outlets.
- Keep space heaters away from combustible materials/products.
Other Safety Tips
- Keep radios, hair dryers and appliances away from water.
- Read and follow all safety instructions on electric appliances, toys, tools and equipment.
- Never use electrically operated power tools in the rain or wet conditions.
- If power is out, don't use gas appliances such as an oven, range, or clothes dryer to heat the home.