Water, Metal and Electricity Do Not Mix
If your basement becomes flooded for any reason, DO NOT enter unless you are absolutely certain that the water is not in contact with a source of electricity, including appliances, electrical outlets or extension cords. If you're not sure, please call a qualified electrician.
Never leave plugged-in appliances where they might come in contact with water.
Safety tip: Remember that metal ladders conduct electricity – never use them near power lines.
- If a plugged-in appliance falls into water (such as a hair dryer in a bath tub), DO NOT reach in the water to pull it out. Unplug the appliance before removing it.
- If an appliance has gotten wet, DO NOT use it unless it's been checked by a qualified electrician.