Hazard Awareness and Prevention Measures
Our highest priority at Vectren is safety. From work practices to customer service, Vectren strives to provide the highest level of protection to our employees and the public. Recognizing company personnel to right-of-way encroachment and emergency preparedness, we work to ensure both our employees and our customers are safe.
At Vectren, we run our business based upon these fundamental concepts:
- We hold the protection of safety and health as our highest core value
- Safety will not be compromised for any reason.
- Safety is a shared responsibility of everyone in the organization.
- Training is essential to the success of our safety and health management system. Employees will be trained to recognize safety and health hazards and the appropriate protective measures to protect them from these hazards
- Vectren continually monitors, reviews and revises its processes to enhance safety for its workers and the public.
- Safety and health are considered in the design and maintenance of our facilities.
Recognizing Company Personnel
Vectren employees in the field wear uniforms with the Vectren logo or Vectren Energy Delivery logo and will be driving company fleet vehicles with the company logo and a Department of Transportation (DOT) number on it.
There may be times when third-party approved contractors are working for Vectren, performing electric line, pipeline or meter work or some other service. They will be able to provide proper identification and reason for their visit.
Protect yourself and your family by following these safety tips:
- Ask for identification if you question the person is really a representative of Vectren.
- If they do not have an official identification card, ask for their name and reason for their visit, then call Vectren at 1-800-227-1376 to verify the information.
- DO NOT let anyone into your home unless you have verified his/her identity or you have scheduled the visit through Vectren in advance.
- Call police immediately if you believe the person is an imposter and threat to your safety.
Disasters, such as earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes, and even strong thunder and winter storms, can cause natural gas and electric emergencies to occur, resulting in unsafe conditions, such as blowing gas from damaged natural gas equipment and/or downed power lines. Or there may be emergency events, such as fire or flooding, in which natural gas and/or electricity may be intentionally shut off for public safety reasons.
Be prepared for emergencies by following emergency-specific safety precautions recommended by the American Red Cross.
- DO NOT use any electrical equipment that may cause a spark, such as a cell phone or flashlight, around blowing natural gas. Click here for more information about natural gas safety.
- Be aware that power lines that are down can still be carrying electricity, so DO NOT go anywhere near them. Click here for more information about electric safety.
Right of Way Encroachment Prevention
Rights of way or easements are agreements whereby a landowner grant certain rights to use the landowner’s land (as set out in the easement document) to a third party, such as a utility.
Vectren maintains easements or rights of way within which it maintains (and builds) electric and gas facilities, including power lines and pipelines to serve Vectren’s gas and electric customers.
Vectren’s rights of way and easements generally require that the easement area be clear of trees, buildings or other structures. Certain kinds of vegetation may be allowed in an easement or right of way, and a landowner wishing to do so should consult his or her easement document or Vectren for additional information.